5 quick benefits of mindful living
- You live in the now - the happiest people live in the moment. They learn from the past, plan for the future, but enjoy the moment.
- You become more aware of the mind-body connection, which allows you to know how negative emotions affect you physically.
- You slow down and enjoy life.
- You increase self-awareness, which can help you become aware of, and change, negative thoughts.
- Because you're in the moment you become more focused on whatever it is you’re doing.
5 easy steps to being more mindful
- Be an active listener. When someone is talking to you stay present. Don't think about anything else. Stay focused. Make direct eye contact and ask questions.
- Do one thing at a time -- we are a society of multi-tasking BUT to be mindful you really need to slow down and do one thing at a time.
- Take time each day to do nothing. This doesn't mean thought time or nap time. It means just sitting and observing. Try to clear your mind completely and enjoy the silence.
- Truly accept your life -- accept where you are at this moment.
- Mindfulness means self-compassion – be kind to yourself and avoid negative self-talk.